In honor of March Madness I thought it appropriate to share a Jacksonville Sports Bar that is taking strides to be safe for those with Celiac and other gluten-free allergies, Time Out Sports Grill. Located in a strip mall on Beach Boulevard between San Pablo and Hodges you almost drive right by this place. But once you are inside, there are many large TVs, a game area and a large bar. Almost every time I am here this place is packed and there is some exciting game going on.
The night we were here the Jacksonville Scene Kickball league was there having a great time. I went with my husband and a friend of ours Rita and everyone ordered a gluten-free dish. One of the most exciting things is they have a gluten-free fryer. While eating fried foods every day is not a healthy choice, when watching sports who doesn’t enjoy some wings and fries! In addition to having a dedicated gluten-free fryer they also have gluten-free flat breads that are delicious and gluten-free beer.
If you are in the area and in the mood for a sports bar definitely check this place out!
On Monday April 13 Moxie Kitchen and Cocktails held a gluten-free dinner and it was AWESOME! Flank steak and chimichurri was my favorite (oh and the wine was pretty good too).
From Redbridge to New Planet, to Bards, to Greens, to New Grist, to Omission, to Dogfish Head Tweason’ale there are numerous gluten-free beers out there. Yes, I know cider is gluten-free, however this is just a listing for gluten-free beers. Almost all of these places have cider as well. Redbridge is the beer I find most readily available, however New Planet is slowly becoming readily available and rightly so, they have 4 different flavors.
- BJ’s Brew House (Town Center) Typically Redbridge is available here
- Royal Palm Village Wine and Tapas (Atlantic Beach) they have a HUGE selection. I have seen New Planet, Dogfish Head Tweason’ale, Omission and Daruma here. In addition to ordering with your meal they are also a retail shop.
- Kickbacks (Park and King Area) I have had Dogfish Head Tweason’ale, New Planet, Redbridge, and Greens; they usually have the best selection.
- Mellow Mushroom– (Beaches and Southside) typically just Bards and New Planet. I have better luck with the MM at the beach.
- European Street (Beach, Southside, San Marco, Riverside) I have had New Planet here, but they typically have more than one option.
- Engine 15– (Beaches) I have heard that they occasionally have gluten-free beer on tap. I have had Omission in the bottle there.
- Burro Bar– (Downtown) not sure if it is there all of the time, but I have had a Redbridge here before.
- Beer:30 (Park and King) Tons of gluten-free beers here from Omission, to New Planet to Greens and more. They are very friendly and if you call ahead they will chill your beer for you.
- Total Wine (Town Center) Always has an assortment. They had a selection of New Planet, Greens, New Grist
Who did I miss?
Rather than always telling you what I think- I want to hear what you think about gluten-free resources in Jacksonville. Send me an email by January 6th with your vote for the following:
Best gluten-free chain restaurant
Best gluten-free locally owned restaurant
Best gluten-free pizza
Best gluten-free grocery store
Best gluten-free bakery
Best gluten-free beer
Worst attempt at gluten-free dining
Note: only one entry per person and these must be found locally in and around Jacksonville.
Email your entry to jgornto_6(at)yahoo.com by January 6th. Vote now to let your voice be heard and help us encourage gluten-free dining in our great city!
Happy New Year Everyone!
I am so excited to announce our next Wine Dinner is with Bistro Aix on August 31, 2011. Bistro Aix has received multiple awards by Jacksonville Magazine, Folio Weekly, Arbus, Wine Spectator and more. Their head Chef, Chef Tom Grey, is known for his culinary skills across the country. The french bistro inspired atmosphere is so cozy and their food never disappoints. We are going to have a great night!
Come and enjoy a food and wine pairing that is completely gluten-free. Here are the details:
Cost: $45 per person plus tax and gratuity for a three course dinner and wine pairing. Call Bistro Aix directly to book your reservation. Space is limited, so please reserve your spot ASAP! For reservations call Natalia Lupas, Catering Coordinator, at 904-398-1949.
Where: Bistro Aix; 1440 San Marco Blvd; Jacksonville, FL 32207
When: Wednesday August 31st from 6-9pm
Local Grape Tomato & Watermelon Salad
Micro Basil & Parmesan Crisp
Paired with Solo Pinot Grigio from Italy.
Local Fish (TBD) with Chanterelles
Local Sweet Corn, Pole Beans & Paprika Butter with Chucker
Paired with Happy Canyon, CA (Red Blend).
Banana Pineapple Cake with Vanilla Cream
Hope you can make it!
Filed under Dining, Drinking