I need to vent a little bit…
“I have celiac disease, I am gluten-free, dairy-free and shellfish-free, please notify the chef. Also please avoid cross contamination by asking the staff to either change out their gloves or mix my food in clean bowls and avoid breading, sauces, and spices”
…I still find a way to become sick. During the week it is super easy to stay gluten-free I usually make all of my meals. I still manage to get sick even when I am super strict, which makes me wonder:
- Is it true what they say about gluten and coffee?
- Should I avoid my Diet Coke because there could be gluten in the caramel coloring?
- Is it true what they say about quinoa and other grains still aggravating celiacs?
- Is my non-dairy creamer making me sick?
- Do I need to worry about the meat I eat, do I need to be concerned if they were fed grains?
I am not one of those people who knows exactly what makes me sick. I typically eat the same thing each week and rely heavily on vegetables and salads. After two years with this disease I am still perplexed and frustrated. I miss convenience and I miss being able to eat without having to describe what is wrong with me. I don’t miss bread or pizza (well maybe a little) or stuff like that, I am just frustrated that gluten-free does not always mean gluten-free for all. Packaging is confusing and cross contamination is not always labeled or taken seriously.
Thank you for letting me share- I promise to post something positive next time…
What is hard for you? Do you have any advice for me?